These ribs were a bit of an experiment but WOW did they turn out good! The recipe was very simple as I currently don't have access to a working smoker or grill at the moment. However, this allowed me to get a bit creative and my ingenuity paid off, as these ribs were incredibly delicious but also mouth-wateringly tender as I effortlessly plucked the bones free. Follow the directions below and you're bound to have some similar, amazing results!
1/2 rack of beef ribs
3 tbsp St. Pete Sauce Shoppe Carne Asada Rub
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter
8"x13" brownie pan
1 large skillet, cast-iron if possible
1. Coat your ribs with your olive oil and 2 tbsp of your seasoning - this will give it a nice crust and flavor once it is done cooking. This seasoning mix is low in salt, so don't be afraid to get a thick coating over the entire half-rack. Once fully coated, wrap in aluminium foil and chill in the refrigerator for anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours, depending on preference.
2. Once your ribs are done absorbing all of that yummy seasoning, remove them from the fridge and set the aside on the counter. Then, preheat your oven to 350° and put your large skillet on high heat, placing a dollop or two of additional olive oil into the pan once it gets hot (be sure to use olive oil designed for sauteeing, as extra virgin's low smoke point makes it less than ideal for searing).
3. After your oil starts shimmering, place your ribs into your skillet and sear for approximately 2-2 1/2 minutes on each side.
4. Once searing is completed, place them into your brownie sheet. Then, mix in approximately a half cup of water, your unsalted butter, and the last tablespoon of your seasoning to form your braising liquid. Cover with aluminium foil.
5. Place your covered brownie pan into the oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Be sure to check your ribs every hour or so to make sure they aren't going dry.
6. After your time is up, remove your pan from the oven and then you're free to plate and devour your ribs! Feel free to garnish with additional Carne Asada Rub, or slather on one of our delicious Florida-Style BBQ Sauces for extra smoky flavor!